Friday, April 13, 2007

Business books can be interesting

Many of the books that have sold well in the business environment were not necessarily written with that audience in mind (‘Emotional Intelligence’ is a good example). With that in mind I list the ten books I always go to if I want to stimulate my thinking around work and human behaviour. I only half apologise for including one of my own…


Hare Brain Tortoise Mind – Guy Claxton

Very often we think best when we are not consciously thinking about a specific thing. This book helps us to understand why that may be the case and why slowing down can help us generate great ideas and make better decisions.


Dinosaur Strain – Mark Brown

A personal friend so I am biased but if I ever want an interesting ‘take’ on work related subjects or a deeper ‘know yourself’ exercise that goes beyond pop psychology territory then I always go to this book. I particularly like the way that Mark subtly removes his work from faddish thinking while always offering a stimulating alternative view.


It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want To Be – Paul Arden

As it says on the cover ‘The world’s best selling book by Paul Arden’. I fell for it… But this is just a very interesting look at a much-abused subject. Did you know that Victoria Beckham always wanted to be more famous than Persil Automatic? Did she succeed?


Understanding Organisations – Charles Handy

Everything you want to know about how organisations work. Particularly useful if you want a central reference point for all the seminal workplace research work that has been done in the last fifty years.


The New Leaders – Daniel Goleman

Uses his work on Emotional Intelligence to show how we can learn to be leaders. The best book on leadership I have read (I admit that there are few good ones – and particularly strong on leadership styles and adapting your style to the person and the situation you are in.


A Whack on the Side of the Head – Roger Von Oech

This is just a great book – an innovative way of showing us how to be more creative and innovative. Full of contradictions as all good books should be.


The Doctor and The Soul – Viktor Frankl

Everyone cites his book ‘Man’s Search For Meaning’ but this for me cuts very deeply into my own soul and raises so many ‘ah-ha’ moments that I almost feel it was written for me.


Learned Optimism – Martin Seligman

Does exactly what it says. Balanced too because he shows how pessimism can be a very healthy emotion if it propels you into positive action.


Riding the Waves of Culture – Trompenaars, Hampden-Turner

Far more than a book that tells us why people from other cultures behave in the way they do. In fact the authors say directly, and I endorse this, that the book is really about how individuals see the world in the way that they do and how we can adapt our behaviour according to their world-view.


Mind Your Own Good Fortune: How to Seize Life’s Opportunities – Douglas Miller

Sorry…

No comments: