Thursday, January 11, 2007

The real 'Georgia on My Mind'

The promise of foreign travel is the work equivalent of royal jelly to me so I was thrilled to see two emails from clients new asking me to work in Tbilisi, Georgia at the end of the month followed by Germany in February. I have been to Georgia before (both Batumi and Tbilisi) and loved it and I cannot wait to get on that plane. Georgian Airlines of course so one has to hold one’s breath a little. On my last flight to Tbilisi there were four people on the plane and I got upgraded to business class. Not that it really mattered in such emptiness. I feasted and imbibed relentlessly and watched the snow-topped peaks of the Caucasus. Marvellous.

I am with the children on my own for two weeks after dropping Caroline at Nimes airport at lunchtime today. It is so warm at the moment that I can actually see us going for a picnic at the beach on Sunday. Otherwise we will go to the ‘barrage’ lake inland which has a rather nice picnic area when it is not infested with untethered dogs.

I had an urge to listen to Archie Bell and The Drells ‘’Soul City Walk’ and contacted soul brother Nigel to see if he could email it across. He duly did and it was as I remembered it and so for that it is my ‘song of the day’.

O yes – did I mention that the Christmas bills all arrived in an unfriendly pile (what is the collective noun for lots of bills arriving at once?) this morning. I felt like Colonel Kurtz – ‘The Horror’.

No comments: