Sunday, February 25, 2007

Germany, Andrew Neil...

I have had a good week. I spent it in Bad Neunhar, Germany working with the Kyoto Protocol team. Of course, professional etiquette means I cannot divulge what we did but I was enormously impressed by what they are doing. One thing the trip did do was to cement in my mind that Germany is actually a very attractive country and its people very friendly. Of course to Brits whose minds are still locked in the past this may be antagonistic reading but compared to my two current bases of Penge and Pezenas the lack of dog mess and the pride in civility and civic buildings was refreshing.

I have come back to the UK presented with a business opportunity that may shape the rest of my life. I may have to give a few things up, including some of the foreign travel but this may be exchanged for increasing mental stimulation. And I can continue to write.

I am not a big fan of Andrew Neil although I do think the paper he used to edit is by far the best of the ‘Sundays’. I did however enjoy his selections on Desert Island Discs which included some Miles, some James Taylor and the end to Abbey Road although his classical selections were unimaginative (Tchaikovsky’s ‘Violin Concerto’ apart). I was surprised and pleased by his choice of The Pet Shop Boys, the defining pop group of the 1980’s – those who read this and know me may be surprised by my saying this but they were the zeitgeist group of an age which has defined a more confident 21st century Britain. Music tells me a lot about people, and perhaps as a writer about people I should not be so quick to categorise, but I do read a lot into people according the music they listen to. Some Desert Island Discs can be dreadful due to the lack of stimulation presented by the musical choices. To that end, Digby Jones, the former head of the CBI was the prime offender. And I remember the most disappointing castaway being journalist Robert Fisk. He clearly had fallen victim of ceasing to be part of the world due to his over-concentration on one aspect of it. He came across as a self-justifying bore even if I have some sympathy with his views.

For my and perhaps a few readers’ amusement I shall shortly deliver my own selection. I can guarantee the inclusion of Miles Davis and Pharoah Sanders but the other choices will be tough. What to leave out? At least two American soul tracks, something from Brazil, a classical piece and some rock have to be included.

I seem to be growing ‘Moobs’ – man boobs. Back to the swimming pool.

As I re-read this blog I notice that almost all paragraphs begin with ‘I’. What does that say?

No comments: