Monday, August 06, 2007

Roast bunny

A lovely quote in yesterday’s Sunday Times made in pre-revolutionary France by a society lady – ‘Of all the men I never loved, my husband was the one I liked the most’. I wonder how many other women might say the same thing. Plenty I should think – in fact I know a few.

Another quote and one closer to my own life from Thomas Keneally on Desert Island Discs recently ‘What makes me write is fear…the fear that I cannot write’. Why does this resonate? Because I have just finished my new book last night. Out in November. This is number five with a 6th and 7th to follow shortly. The target is ten and then I may stop. Thankfully they do earn me money so this isn’t quite self-indulgence. But the fear is what drives you to write. Plus the incentive of the 2nd and 3rd cheques for the advance.

We have had a lot of domestic rabbits in the garden from the house opposite us – fine by me as they keep the grass down. Anyway my eldest Lily (7) has befriended a ten year old girl in the opposite house and last night she was invited over for dinner. Rabbit on the menu. Life in rural France. Was it Flopsy, Mopsy or Cotton Tail I wonder?

Album of the day – Le Pas Du Chat Noir: Anouar Brahem.

No comments: