Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Remember me

I enjoy it when I know that people have thought of me and make the effort to do something to show their appreciation for work done. Such was the case today when one of my participants (Laura) at the workshops I ran in Germany recently got in touch to email me some photographs of the fun times over the two days and to ask about buying my books in Germany. She was not the person who recruited me so had no need to create a professional veneer but had done so out of kindness and because she had enjoyed herself. This simple pleasure will probably mean nothing to readers but is what makes my job worthwhile. As a consultant you do your job and then go home and it can be frustrating not knowing how much impact you have had. I have found my forte working with large rather than small groups as I hope recent work in Macedonia and Germany attest and I really must pursue this. To know you made a difference is I think the primary motivator for most of the employed and self-employed. It is such a shame that so few managers tell their staff this when to do so would raise the motivational levels so much. And it costs no more more than kindness.

A quick change of subject. I got back to France for a week with my little ones. I am away a lot but when I am there I am very 'there'. Much more so than say the working parent who leaves the house at 7.00am and does not re-appear until 7 or 8 in the evening. The joy of seeing my children was added to by the success of the england rugby team against the french. I asked Lily my eldest who she wanted to win. She said France because she was french now. I wonder what she will feel when she is 20 or 25? With huge numbers of young french moving to London for work and other stimulation my suspicion is that she will continue her education in the UK.

Song of the day: I believe in Miracles - The Jackson Sisters

No comments: