Wednesday, December 13, 2006

London

A surprise today. I went to my publishers to talk about new ideas and copies of my new book rolled in as I was leaving. I called back later after a bout of shopping to collect a few of the books. It’s called ‘Don’t Worry: How To Beat The Seven Anxieties of Life’. A real thrill and it makes the agony that was the reality in writing this all worthwhile. Is it good? I could not possibly say. Well maybe I can! I like it.

I remember when I started this blog, quoting great 30’s diarist ‘Chips’ Channon who said there is not point in having a discrete diary, one might as well have a discrete soul. I have to break the rule. Commercial confidentially forbids me from divulging the topic of the book I hope to write early next year. But I am exhilarated at the freedom the style and content of the book gives me. As soon as I can I will share its format with you.

I took three hours out to walk around London. A couple of circuits of St James’s Park, The Mall, St Martin’s Lane, a bit of Oxford Street, Covent Garden and The Strand. I wonder how many people who spend their days amidst all this ever reflect on its lustre. I spoke to a friend of mine recently who loves the countryside and cannot work why anyone would want to live in a city. I asked him why and he said he needs room to breathe, to collect his thoughts and get some energy back. Cities do this for me. I can visit the country for a day and enjoy it but I have to admit that after a while I am twiddling my thumbs. Urban environments and in particular the greatest city in the world give me my energy. I like the great mass of humanity and all its creations speaking back to me in a way that the countryside cannot.

An enjoyable talk with Caroline and the babies on the phone. They will be joining me in London for Christmas. I cannot wait to see their joyous faces when they see the effort I am putting into decorating the house. In the evening my good training partner Nigel came down from Hull to stay the night so that we could discuss writing and training projects for the next year. We are writing a couple of pocketbooks for publication next year and met to hone in on content. Also to plan how to market ourselves better to the UN and other agencies after the success of our Autumn excursion to Kosovo. We imbibed a little in the evening to celebrate my new book. I gave him a copy of it as well as a terrific biography of cyclist Tom Simpson (‘Put me back on my bike’) who died while ascending the brutal Mont Ventoux in the 1967 Tour De France.

I realise as I look back at previous blogs how negative I have been about France. There are many things I do like about it – and after all I am currently educating my two children there. In the summer the south (and I am 10kms from the coast) is heaven writ large. Heat, Humanity and the pursuit of leisure combining together to form a sensuous feeling of oneness. Both my children will be fluent in English, French and Spanish. I say to my eldest daughter that if she can speak a second language (which she already can) and play an instrument (which she is on the way to doing) she will always be ok for a living. The world needs multi-linguists and wherever she is she can always busk. I recall writer Laurie Lee first inspiring the busking thought in me as he described earning his living in the 1930’s playing his fiddle in Southern England and then on the way down to Spain.

Finally I end today’s blog on a sad note. I went to see the house which my great-grandmother was born in and which I mentioned in my last blog. It is no longer there. Replaced by a hideous block of 1970’s flats courtesy of some ‘planning’ fool at Bromley Council no doubt. I texted my sister to let her know and I am sure she was as disappointed as I was.

Song of the Day: Everybody Here Wants You – Jeff Buckley

No comments: