Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Schoolchildren

I learned a great lesson yesterday. I worked with a group of schoolchildren who sit on the student council at their school. They are at a very tough school but professional etiquette means it will have to be nameless. What I got was what I didn't really expect. They were a reasonably confident group, seemed to know quite a bit about the world and could express themselves - aged between 11 and 17. What many couldn't do was read properly. The greater confidence that young people have is heartening. And I wonder what effect the lack of reading skills will have. Given that young people always 'shape' their environment I suspect that for many it will not hold them back as they will shape the world the way they want it. Confidence and an ability to express yourself takes you a long way. But I wonder why the skills were so poor.

I am in Birmingham for the week. It has always been unfashionable to say so but I actually like Birmingham. It has energy, modernity and a completely regenerated area around Broad Street. This is sited around the huge number of canals Birmingham has (you probably already know that it has more than Venice). And I get more work in Birmingham than any other UK City. And it is only 90 minutes from London by train (why would anyone drive here?). When I talk about Birmingham to people abroad they are amazed to learn that it is the UK's second largest city. It really has no profile.

I bought a children's book which everyone it seems is recommending - 'You are a bad man Mr Gum' by Andy Stanton. I cannot see it's appeal but I am hoping my daughter can.

I am looking forward to Christmas. All the family in the UK. Christmas in London. I am beginning to not like France much. It feels like the whole is far less than the sum of its parts. It lacks creative energy and its people seem to lack initiative. I am not the first to say this (and many of the french I meet abroad say it too). As these are the two things that I value above almost anything else in places I go to I think I know the basis of my dissatisfaction. We are considering a move to Montpellier - I think the best city in France for youthful vibrancy and we hope that will do the trick.

Track of the day: Soul Sacrifice: Santana at Woodstock (I bought the DVD for a fiver).

No comments: