Monday, December 11, 2006

Tea and Toast

I think I am one of the world’s lucky people. This morning (a Monday) I was able to go swimming at Beckenham Spa at 9.00am when the rest of the world was at, or on their way to work. Afterwards I had a cup of tea and some toast in a café while I read the paper and then went home (London home) and started work. I am not lazy! I worked all day yesterday and will probably work until about 9.00 tonight. But the point is, when I am not running seminars I can choose to work when I want. I work sixty hours a week, I am productive, but for the most part I decide when I do the sixty hours.

As I was of thinking about others trudging to work and how lucky I am not having to do it I reflected that my career choice is actually right for the kind of person I am. I think that many actually want the routine that their work gives them although in their worst moments I am sure they have the ‘let’s chuck it in and go and live on a Scottish croft’ thoughts. The point is that happiness in work comes from a good match between the job you do and the kind of person you are. But it does mean you being honest about the kind of person you are. I live a financially precarious life of feast or famine because of the nature of the work I do and that would not suit many people. I like it because it is what gives me some ‘snap’. Choose what is right for you. And believe me – you can make that choice.

When I return to the UK I realise what a fantastic time we are currently having in this country. I believe that the huge influx of young French, Polish, Scandanavians and so on is a great thing. It is a reflection that this country is dynamic, entrepreneurial and creative and provides great opportunity for those who want to take it. If I compare the energy here to the lack of it in France where I currently live then I begin to understand how fortunate we currently are. I hope it carries on. I am not a rabid free-marketeer but I do think the more that Governments keep out of our lives the better.

The happiest day of the previous week was the visit to my sister on Saturday. I saw my niece for the first time. A ball of gurgling, farting, eating contentment at six weeks old and a real treasure to watch. Of course memories of my two daughters at such sweet ages swirled around although I missed much of my youngest daughter’s first few months because of work. Motherhood has inspired her and her partner John to become genealogists and they have tracked our family trees back to the early 19th century. It turns out that my Great-grandmother, was born in 1875 at a house 500 metres away from my current London home. I am heading round there tomorrow to have a look at the house. Having this information means I can go to Bromley Library and get more information about her parents (my Great-Great Grandparents). In the afternoon my father and I went to watch rugby, his local team Havant against Henley in a cup match. Havant lost (just) in one of the best games I have seen for years. I can’t bear all the machismo around the rugby (drinking games, songs etc.) but I love the spectacle of the sport itself. So my gripe this week is just about the overall hype surrounding football. The so-called ‘beautiful game’ is played by less than beautiful people. And at least some of the supporters are myopic in the extreme. There is a world out there!

A crucial day tomorrow as I meet the Editorial Director of a major publisher to present my ideas for future books. I want 2007 to be a year of writing and considerably less travel. My suspicion is that it will be a year of a lot of both.

Instead of my song of the day I have included my Christmas Selection. A fairly understated selection so probably best listened to after an extended period of gluttony (Christmas evening being a good time). I have tried to span the decades from the 1950’s (Yusef Lateef), 1960’s (Stan Tracey), 1970’s (Lou Rawls, Gilberto Gil, David Crosby), 1980’s (Ben Watt, David Sylvian whose solo work is criminally underated, Orchestra Baobab), 1990’s (Moondog, Anouar Brahem, Shelby Lynne, Mazzy Star), noughties (Lambchop, Faithless, Olu Dara, Seu Jorge).


Song Artist

Some Things Don't Matter Ben Watt (Pillows & Prayers Vol.1)
Flora Gilberto Gil (Luar)
Coumba Orchestra Baobab(Pirates Choice [Disc 1])
Una Mujer Seu Jorge (Cru)
Plum Blossom Yusef Lateef (Eastern Sounds)
Neighborhoods Olu Dara (Neighborhoods)
Fade Into You Mazzy Star (So Tonight That I Might See)
Orpheus David Sylvian (Secrets of the Beehive)
The Daily Growl Lambchop (Is a Woman)
Traction In The Rain David Crosby (If I Could Only Remember My Name)
Crazy English Summer Faithless Feat (Outrospective)
Fujiyama, Pt. 2 - Lovesong Moondog (Elpmas)
Comme une absence Anouar Brahem (Khomsa)
Starless And Bible Black Stan Tracey Quartet (Under Milk Wood)
Leavin' Shelby Lynne (I am Shelby Lynne)
Trade Winds Lou Rawls (Classic Philly)

I get tired of profits of doom speaking about the state of modern music. It is as good as it has ever been. The tracks from 90’s and the noughties stand up against music from any era.

No comments: