Saturday, January 06, 2007

Black Music

I spent much of the day considering infidelity and the way it is perceived as ‘a man thing’. Of course statistics say that as many women are unfaithful as men so I wonder where the perception comes from. Are women more secretive? Are men more arrogant and therefore don’t want to see what is in front of their eyes? Do we tend to ignore problems in relationships until it’s too late? Or, do some men just say that it is easier to live with a happy woman than an unhappy one and let her get on with it? Being male I cannot answer for women. I struggle to answer for my own gender. The hardest thing is to answer for oneself.

I realise that my new year blogs have a sad tinge to them and I wonder if I am being affected by the news. As a massive fan of black American music I am saddened by the death of James Brown. To steal a phrase of Miles Davis’s if you could put the history of black America in four words it would be ‘Dr King, James Brown’. He was that important. And today I read belatedly of the continuing incarceration of Gil Scott Heron. I saw him live 3 times in the early ninetees. Twice at the Jazz Café and once at the Clapham Grand. The Jazz Café gigs were marvellous. His song ‘Beginnings’ is one of my desert island discs. He is now in jail for a minimum of two years for violating a rehab order (to do a show a show with Alicia Keys – Gil she ain’t worth it). He is now HIV I presume as a result of dirty needles. I watched him on a BBC programme on YouTube ‘Hard Talk’ filmed in 2001. He was great as a speaker but he looked a shell. What must he be like now?

There really is only one joy to being in France currently and that is the chance to spend a lot of time with my daughters. I am sporadically writing my next book and flitting in and out of inspiration (as I usually do) and playing with Lily and Isabelle. They are joyously happy although Lily is showing signs of the mood swings that inhabit my world.

Song of the day: the album ‘The New Folk Sound of Terry Callier’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a little James Brown story for you - see The Godfather of Soul posting on Fri 5th Jan.

Is the Miles quote verbatim?

I think you also saw Gil SH at Camden Town Hall just behind the Euston Road at King's Cross. But it's one of the Jazz Caff gigs that really stands out for me (my first, accompanied by you - you got me into him by putting Winter in America on a compilation tape. Rember tapes?)

I'm really into Michael Franti (and Spearhead) as the man who's taken on Gil's baton - recommended LP: Stay Human

Douglas Miller said...

No the quote isn't. He said it in relation to the history of jazz. 4 words. Louis Armstrong. Charlie Parker. I wasn't at that Gil gig at CTH but yes, the Jazz Cafe gigs were great. I fear for his survival and rather selfishly would love to see him live just once before he leaves us. When I think of all the people I was going to see live and then didn't. And then they died. But I saw Miles live 6 weeks before he died. And I am glad to have seen Rollins 3 times, Sanders 4 times as well as some of the contemporary greats like Garbarek 4 times, Surman at least 5 times and ~Tomasz Stanko (in HMV - 3 people present). But the best live gig I have ever seen are a Brazilian samba rock band Nacao Zumbi about 3 years ago. Me and two friends were the only non-brazilians there (Carling, islington) and the place was on fire. The most fantastic dancing in the audience and an immense live show. I think they played for 31/2 hours and they got stopped by the owners because they are only allowed to stay open until twelve. Marvellous.

The one I really must see is Terry Callier. There is a great, great youtube of him doing Lazarus Song live in Berlin. Fantastic sound and video quality.

I have some Spearhead. I bought his first album post Disposable Heroes and still enjoy it. And I must confess I am not totally averse to rap or hip-hop per se when it's done with brains (and not with brains in balls).