Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Jazz

I am on musical fire at the moment sparked by blogger chats with fellow bloggers adam and brian. After a jazz chat about Gil Scott-Heron yesterday I started to think about all of those great musicians I have seen live. And I reminded myself of Sonny Rollins and how he doesn't get the dues. He is one of the last greats from the 1950's and possibly the greatest ever unaccompanied saxophonist (perhaps only Garbarek comes close). I listened to his 'Next' album today - a late one from 1972 but a gem and one that is underrated by the Penguin Guide to Jazz. I love his album 'The Bridge' too. I like the way that when he has nothing to say musically he says nothing. So he went off by himself for a while, spent time sat by a bridge and came out with 'The Bridge' at the end of it. His version of 'God Bless The Child' on it is a great demonstration of his unaccompaied playing. The times I saw him live he always did the showstopper 'Don't Stop The Carnival' (popularised by Alan Price) and at the age of 70 (as he then was) his lungpower was remarkable.

So I have spent the time I should be writing checking Amazon rankings for my books (the writer's disease I am afraid) and loading up my itunes with jazz classics. I listened to StarPeople (Miles) which I loved from the early eighties as well as Tutu and Amandla - not a great album but Mr Pastorius is a great track.

I feel guilty for saying how great the weather is because it cannot be normal for the South of France to be experiencing 20 degrees in early January. Today was t shirt weather and wonderful it was too. Perhaps the carnival weather prompted me to listen to the carnival-type music of Sonny Rollins. It really is worrying that I can sit here in my office in Rue De La Foire, Pezenas with the window open, a warm breeze kissing me and a dark blue sky spread over the rooftops. I wonder if the sea is warm...

I hate to say this but certain aspects of the year have started very well (apart from one which I alluded to in a blog a few days ago). It seems that someone may want to buy my house and I have also secured a great contract to do some psychology based work in London and Birmingham over the next few months as well as a nice piece of work in germany next month. In March I am off to Kosovo again. Now all I need is for my new book on anxiety to sell. My good training friend Nigel gave a copy to his wife and it seems she loved it (Nigel would say if she thought it was rubbish). In fact she liked it so much she handed in her notice yesterday. Changing her life I think.

I got a junk email from 'Frank Tyson' today. Cricket historians will know him as the man who destroyed the Australians in Australia in 1954-5. He faded as quickly as he appeared. Rather like Steve Harmison it seems although unfortunately his success did not come against Australia. Currently nobody's success is coming against Australia. I think the difference is that Australians see sport as 'life' whereas we see it as 'sport'. That's the only way I can account for their continuing competitive excellence.


Album of the day - 'Next Album'- Sonny Rollins

No comments: