Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Woe, Woe and Thrice Woe

I was in a beautiful sleep last night, ably assisted by two excellent glasses of a vin rose pre-bed. When at 3am my eldest daughter Lily woke me to announce that her first tooth had fallen out. Of course this then provided a cue for her to climb into my bed. I got back to sleep to be awoken 20 minutes later by Charlie the cat wanting to be fed. This was 3.30am. I refused, exit disgruntled cat, braying around the house at his dissatisfaction. And then at 4.15am my naughty youngest started calling ‘daddy, daddy’ in soft tones, growing increasingly louder as I failed to respond to her initial calling. Enter child number two into daddy’s bed. Sharing a bed with naughty youngest is like trying to sleep on top of Medusa’s head. I finally got back to sleep at around 6.30 am and the church bells of Pezenas sang ‘get out of bed you lazy sod’ about an hour later. Which I duly did. So it was then a small rush to get Lily ready for her 9am piano lesson followed by ballet in our nearest major town, Beziers.

We got to piano and the teacher’s house was shuttered and the gate locked. No piano lesson. A large espresso gave temporary revitalisation and we shot off to Beziers. When we got to ballet Lily then started crying and telling me how much she hates ballet. So we came home. Please forgive me if I say that I bought a very good bottle for tonight which I shall consume and enjoy as a palliative cure for children blues. I love them dearly though.

I am so tired that I shall have to postpone the story of my mother’s current love for a Polish man half her age (who has no interest in her) and possible financial crash because of it until tomorrow. But it is a good one!

Today music is irritating me so no recommendation. But I am pleased to report that the Birmingham Post is allowing me the right of reply to the front-page story they printed last week.

No comments: