Saturday, September 01, 2007

Great English Accents

Does anyone,in the history of film, have a worse english accent than Dick Van Dyke in the film 'Mary Poppins'?

I have endured this film 3 times today because my overtired daughters were struggling to do anything else after their Lyon exertions. We had a lovely 3 days. Lyon is a great city (why do I live in the country - I love cities, London of course the best)and not over-burdened with tourism. It reminded me that I currently reside in a culture, excitement and pleasure-free environment - the Languedoc. No wonder France, and this part in particular has an alarmingly high rate of anti-depressant absorption. It is plain and the people narrow. When I go to places like Lyon I remember why I like cities. Next week it will be London for a fortnight. I may do little. But I always have the choice to do that or the opposite. Cities give me freedom of choice.

Music of the day - Gismonti/Vasconcelos - 'Duas Vozes'

I forgot to mention that my 2 year old was so energised by the visual stimulation of a city that she thought nothing of climbing the 500 steps - 'tout seul' - up to Fourviere to reach the fabulous Basilica - 'Notre Dame'.

2 comments:

Katie Bowen said...

Even I, an American, CRINGE whenever my child puts on Mary Poppins and I have to endure 2 hours of Dick Van Dyke's English accent!

Douglas Miller said...

An interesting discussion would be bad american accents done by British actors!

If it was bad american 'acts' done by British actors I would be voting for T Blair.