Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Racisme?

I speak a little french but had a real challenge with the father of one of my daughter's friends yesterday. My daughter had been away for the day and he came to drop her back home. He talked almost non-stop for twenty minutes and, as men do, we got onto sport and the french national football team. I couldn't work out whether he was saying that it was appalling that the french team that won the world cup was predominantly African and therefore not french (the racist Jean Marie Le-Pen position) or whether he was taking the liberal view and suggesting that national boundaries matter less with the free movement of people. His french was so fast I was only picking up one word in four. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was taking the 'inclusive' position. I fear however, that I was wrong in this assumption. The Languedoc is the beating heart of racism in France.

No comments: