Sunday, September 23, 2007

The year of the aerosol

A busy two weeks in the UK comes to an end. Last week it was Manchester all week and after 4 days in France it is off to Kosovo for a week.

I saw the strangest exhibition imaginable in Manchester at the Gmex. 'Aerosol 2007'. What a riveting exhibition that must have been. And being the Gmex it must have been a big one too. Are that many people interest in Aersols? I imagined the whole exhibition being populated by glue sniffers and aerosol inhalers working out where the best sniffing fix was likely to come from in the next few years. But I suspect it was packed with aerosol salesmen ('men' chosen deliberately) absorbed by the magical world of particulates, smell and canisters.

France for four days will be a challenge. My mum ran off with another man earlier this year and I get the dubious honour of meeting him as she has persuaded him to come to France and meet the son and grandchildren. I have no interest in meeting him yet at all. In fact I surprised my usually immoral self by saying that I would not allow them to share a bed in my house. So they are staying up the road. I didn't want to explain to my 7 year old how grandma could sleep with grandpa last year and with new bloke this year. My mother, for whom the skills of 'emotional intelligence' have not yet been absorbed doesn't understand my point.

Music of the day: I am being a dinosaur today and have dug out Lou Reed's 'Transformer'.

5 comments:

ArkAngel said...

Something good you can do with an aerosol:

http://www.bigartmob.com/view/1177/

Douglas Miller said...

Let me tell you Arkangel - I like graffiti art. Let's have more. Perhaps I should have gone into the exhibition. The thought never occurred to me that it might have been full of graffiti art. My narrow-mindedness may have prevented a life-affirming experience. But I suspect, sadly that a room full of aerosol salesmen is closer to the mark.

ArkAngel said...

There's an Aussie movie out in the UK this week about a portaloo supplier (can't recall the title - heard it reviewed on Radio 5) but I think the bottom line (scuse the pun) is the job doesn't define the person and even the most humble worker can have charm, charisma or a real value. And think of Trains, Planes & Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy - the latter plays a shower curtain ring salesman (surely lesser even than an aerosol salesman) who the former looks down on and yet in the end proves to be the one person with genuine human warmth

Douglas Miller said...

You are of course right arkangel - and it is something I preach (preach being the right word). Most of us cannot choose our job but we can choose out attitude when we do it and find something that 'tickles' us in the right way. First said by Viktor Frankl no less.

I would have been overjoyed if the room was full of aerosol salemen who wanted to be there and I dare say some did because in some way they found what was right for them. I, as I feel is the same with you, am doing exactly what is right for me.

Praveen Kumar said...

Twin Tech India is a leading manufacturer and supplier of aerosol, self adhesive tapes and sprays. Our all aerosol sprays are perishable, user and surroundings friendly.

For more info : Supplier Of Aerosol