Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What adds excitement?

I love the phrase 'When was the last time you did something for the first time'. It is my personal mantra. I believe that it is critical to say this to yourself regularly after the age of 40 otherwise life just becomes a unmemorable downhill slide. Life passes more quickly as you get older because you have less memorable first time experiences. We all have different interpretations of new experiences. For some it might be hobbies or new sports. For me it is musical discovery (well-chronicled in this blog) and going to new places. I don't mean by that Spanish beach resorts. I mean immersion in something very different one's own frame of reference. In the last couple of years I have been to Kosovo, Macedonia and Georgia. This year I am going to Kosovo again, Haiti (in November) and Hungary (for Christmas). Haiti in particular will be a real first time experience and one that not many will be able to share. I hope to be going to India (and taking my children with me) in February next year. Marvellous. The next six months will be special.

Music of the day: If I could only remember my name - David Crosby. A recent discovery for me. Is it his best work? Clearly many think so.

No comments: