Saturday, September 15, 2007

Something to lean on...

I have been in London for a week and next week I will be in Manchester. Earning money of course but once in a city I am a child in a candy store. I am one of the few males who enjoys shopping and of course, London means the obligatory trip to HMV. I limited myself to two purchases. I have been overdoing the jazz recently and so I diversified with a reputedly classic album by Talk Talk (a while after they dropped the new romantic stuff) and Eddie Hazel's also supposedly classic solo album.

This morning I am nursing a modest hungover courtesy of one of the most original wines I have ever drunk - Amestoi - a basque white wine with a hint of fizz. Expensive but worth every penny. The drinking was done in anticipation of england putting up a decent performance against South Africa. Sadly they didn't. In fact it was close to the worse england performance I have seen and I saw a few bad ones in the eighties.

So today I am consoling myself with my new purchases. Both are brilliant. Hazel is a guitar genius whose 'Maggot Brain' on the Funkadelic album of the same name is often cited as one of the greatest. His mum insisted on it being played at his funeral - he died young.

'Spirit of Eden' is a bona-fide classic. I know where Sigur Ros come from now. I recommend it highly to all readers. They must have been listening to Miles, Sylvian and a bit of prog at the same time.

No comments: